Thursday, August 9, 2012

Tourist for a day

Friday, August 3rd

Today is my last day in Dublin. My mom and I get up to go on some small trips. I was exhausted from a long work week so we started around noon or one. We decided to wait to pack until later.

We caught the bus and headed to Trinity College to see the Book of Kells. I had seen it once before and it was kind of boring. When we arrive there was a huge line! Super long. As we waited we chatted. It rained a bit but I was so used to it that we never opened our umbrellas.

Once inside it was actually a lot more interesting than it was last time. I took the time to read the explanations on the walls and looked at the pictures. I also watched a video on book binding. It was really cool to see how they used to bind books. Makes me wish I could. It also reminded me of Mo from "Inkheart". He was a book binder. Made me see how he actually would have done it.

I moved onto the room with the actual book, but it's not that exciting. I glanced at it, but spent most of my time in the Long Room (library). Beautiful. Inspiring. I really love libraries. It even smelled inspiring. I just sat there for a long time and waited for my mom.

After Trinity we walked to St. Stephen's Green. It was beautiful and green. We walked around the water. There were two little ponds. Most of them were filled with sea gals. lol. While walking around we saw a guy sitting with the swans. It was kind of cool. He was just sitting there in the middle of them feeding them.

On the way home we grabbed a mailing box so I could ship some stuff home, grab the souvenirs I needed from Pennys, and picking up the little airplane earring I really wanted.

Back home we packed that box and took it to the post office. The post office guy was really nice. He was truly Irish in the way he acted. Very kind and happy. Joked around with us a little. And this was even right about closing time.

From there we headed to the bus again and went down to Carroll's Souvenir shop. I got my Irish pub songs CD and a few things for my friends and family. Not far from there we headed to one of my favorite restaurants, Nandos. It is a chicken place where the food is cooked in Peri-peri sauce. It is a Portuguese recipe. Everything there is delicious.

After a VERY filling meal we headed home on the bus. We stopped at Spar and my mom got to finally try the YUMMY soft serve. Next came packing and cleaning. I passed out at about 2 am and got up between 5 and 6 am. My mom didn't sleep at all.


No comments:

Post a Comment